Second Degree Option/Occupational Science Program (for BA/BS graduates in another field)
The Second Degree/OS Program is for persons who have completed a baccalaureate degree in another discipline who wish to obtain an entry level Doctorate in Occupational Therapy. Students who are accepted will move seamlessly from the Bachelor of Science in Occupational Science (BSOS; thereby obtaining a second baccalaureate degree) to the entry-level OTD program.
Admission to the Second Degree/OS Program is very competitive, students will be notified of their acceptance by June 1 of each year.
The OTD program has achieved accrediation Candidacy status. For more information click here!
These prerequisites must be completed prior to acceptance into the program:
- GPA (3.0 or better for last 60 hours plus pre-requisites)
- Human Anatomy and Physiology I (BIO 307),
- Human Anatomy and Physiology II (BIO 308),
- Introduction to Psychology
- Medical Terminology (2-3 credit hours)
- Health Science Reasoning Test (HSRT) NOTE: The HSRT cannot presently be taken due to COVID-19 shut-downs. Applicants may turn in their materials without the HSRT scores, and will not be penalized.
- and Letter of Recommendation Form (Important) - we need 3 Recommendation Form Letters filled out and turned in by May 1st. LETTERS MUST COME DIRECTLY FROM THE PERSON COMPLETING THE FORM OR IN A SEALED/SIGNED ENVELOPE
To apply to the Second Degree/OS program you must fill out and return the following form to the EKU OT Department by MAY 1ST:APPLICATION DEADLINE HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO MAY 15.
- APPLICATION (Important)- In order to initiate your application, please send an unofficial copy of all your transcripts, either via fax (859-622-1601) or email as an attachment (firstname.lastname@example.org) or as a hard copy to the Occupational Therapy Department.
- Apply to the EKU undergraduate school. This application is done through the undergraduate office with a declared major of Pre-Occupational Science as a transfer student. The application to EKU can be done online at: http://admissions.eku.edu/applyor through the Undergraduate office (Whitlock Building - Room 112) or download the Undergraduate Application. Application deadline is May 1. APPLICATION DEADLINE HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO MAY 15.
SECOND DEGREE/OS INFORMATIONAL SESSION
Informational sessions are held one Saturday a month from 9AM-12PM in the spring and fall, and are for students wanting more information about the Second Degree/OS and entry level OTD program. Seating is limited. We need your unofficial transcripts sent in ahead of time in order to make an appointment for the session. You will be placed on a waiting list until we have received an unofficial copy of your transcripts. Please contact email@example.com if you would like to attend one of the upcoming sessions. Transcripts can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fall Information Sessions will resume in the fall. Dates to be determined.
ONCE ACCEPTED to THE SECOND DEGREE/OS PROGRAM
If accepted, the Registrar will change your status from Pre-OS to Second Degree/OS.
A place will be held for you in the entry level OTD program if you maintain a GPA of 3.0 during the BSOS portion of the program, complete all prerequisite courses with a "B" or better, and are accepted by the graduate school during the Second Degree/OS year.
Please email Dr. MaryEllen Thompson at MaryEllen.Thompson@eku.edu for information about entry level Doctorate in Occupational Therapy