School-Based Intervention in Occupational Therapy
This line of inquiry focuses on school-based practice. Including but not limited to service delivery models, sensorimotor theme groups, transition practices, handwriting and visual perceptive skills impact on occupations of school aged children.
- References for presentation at the 19th Annual School-System Symposium. Richmond, VA
SELECTED PEER-REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS
- Myers, C. T., Schneck, C., Effgen, S. K., Shasby, S. B., & McCormick, K. M. (2010). Factors associated with therapists' involvement in childrens' transition to preschool. American Journal of Occupational Therapy.
- Schneck, C. M., Shasby, S. B., Myers, C. T. & Smith, M. A. (in press). The Effectiveness of the Handwriting Without Tears program in a first grade classroom. Journal of Occupational Therapy, Schools & Early Intervention: Innovations in practice, theory & research.
- Schneck, C. M., Brandenburger-Shasby, S. (in press). Commentary on collaboration in school-based practice: Positives and pitfalls. Journal of Occupational Therapy, Schools, & Early Intervention: Innovations in practice, theory & research.
- Schneck, C. M. (2009). Visual Perception. In Jane Case-Smith and J. O'Brien (Ed.), Occupational Therapy for Children (6th ed.). St. Louis, Missouri: Elsevier.
- Schneck, C. M. (2009). visual Perception Frame of Reference. In Paula Kramer and Jim Hinojosa (Ed.), Frames of Reference for Pediatric Occupational Therapy (3rd ed.). Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins.
- Tomchek, S. D., & Schneck, C. M. (2006). Evaluation of handwriting. In A. Henderson, & C. Pehoski (Eds.), Hand Function of the Child: Foundations for Remediation (pp. 291-309). Mosby: St. Louis.
- Brandenburger-Shasby, S. (2005). School-based practice: Acquiring the knowledge and skills. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 59. 88-96.
- Schneck, C. M. (2005). Visual perception. In Jane Case-Smith (Ed). Occupational therapy for children 5th ed.) (pp. 412-448). St. Louis: Mosby Publishing Co.
- Shasby, S. & Schneck, C. (2005, December). Use of sensorimotor theme groups to enhance developmental skills in preschool and kindergarten children. School System Special Interest Section Quarterly, 12(4), 1-3, 6.
- Spencer, J. E., Emery, L. J., & Schneck, C.M. (2003). Occupational Therapy in transitioning adolescents to post-secondary activities. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 57, 435-441.
- Brandenburger-Shasby, S. & Trickey, B. (2001, December). Preparation of occupational therapists for school-based practice. Education Special Interest Section Quarterly, 11, 1-4.
SELECTED CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS
- LaForme Fiss, A.C., Effgen, S.K., Page, J., Shasby, S. (February, 2008). Effect of Increased Practice Time Using Sensorimotor Groups on Gross Motor Skill Acquisition for Young Children with Down Syndrome. Poster presentation at the APTA Combined Sections Meetings, Nashville, TN
- Shasby, S, Pitstick, M. and Burt, K. (September, 2007). Collaboration with teachers: Finding the evidence. Kentucky Occupational Therapy Conference, Somerset, KY.
- Shasby, S. & Schneck, C. (2006, April). The Handwriting without Tears Program: Efficacy with first-grade students. Poster session presented at the 86th annual American Occupational Therapy Association Conference, Charlotte, NC.
- Brandenburger-Shasby, S, Schneck, C. and Teeters, C. (2004, September). School-Based Practice Forum. Kentucky Occupational Therapy Conference, Elizabethtown, KY.
- Brandenburger-Shasby, S, and Schneck, C. (2003, September). School-Based Practice Forum. Kentucky Occupational Therapy Conference, Lexington, KY.
- Schneck, C. and Brandenburger-Shasby, S. (2003, June) Providing Sensorimotor Theme Groups in the Preschool and Kindergarten Classroom. Paper presented at the American Occupational Therapy Conference, Washington, D.C.
- Asher, A., Nakasuji, B. Schneck, C. and Brandenburger-Shasby, S. (2003, June) Making Inclusion a Reality: Meeting the Challenge. Paper presented at the American Occupational Therapy Conference, Washington, D.C.
- Brandenburger-Shasby, S, and Schneck, C. (2002, September). Providing Sensory-Motor Activities to Enhance Developmental Skills, Kentucky Occupational Therapy Association Conference, Paducah, KY.
- Brandenburger-Shasby, S. (2000, October) Personnel Preparation of Occupational Therapists:School-Based Practice. The Great Southern Occupational Therapy Conference, Charleston, WV.
- University Research Committee Effectiveness of the use of handwriting without tears program in first grade. $3491, Awarded May, 2004.
- Professional Education Fellow - College of Education, Eastern Kentucky University (2001-2004). Providing Sensory Motor Activities to Enhance Developmental Skills.
- Endowed Chair's Fellowship, Eastern Kentucky University (2003). Handwriting Consultation to a First-Grade Classroom, $2000.
- Endowed Chair - Fellowship - Eastern Kentucky University (2001). Development and Efficacy of a Model Sensorimotor Program for Kindergarten Children in Regular Education , $1667.
Sharon Shasby, Retired Professor
Colleen Schneck, Professor and Chair
2007 - EKU-Occupational Therapy Research Center