Research on Early Childhood Transitions of Children with Special Needs and their Families
This research focuses on the description of typical and atypical interactions of infants and toddlers with the physical environment of the home. At present, studies have included a longitudinal description of eighteen typically-developing infants/toddlers in the home environment, and a comparative study of extremely-low-birth-weight infants. All research projects use a qualitative video and text anslysis system.
SELECTED PEER-REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS
- Myers, C. T. (2008). A descriptive study of occupational therapists' participation in early childhood transitions. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 62(2), 212-220.
- Rous, B., Myers, C. T., & Stricklin, S. B. (2007). Strategies for supporting transitions of young children with special needs and their families. Journal of Early Intervention, 30(1), 1-18.
- Myers, C. T. (2007). The role of indpendent therapy providers in the transition to preschool. Journal of Early Intervention, 29(2), 173-185.
- Myers, C. T. (2006). Exploring occupational therapy and transitions for young children with special needs. Physical and Occupational Therapy in Pediatrics, 26(3), 73-88.
- Myers, C. T. & Effgen, S. K. (2006). Physical therapists' participationi in early childhood transitions. Pediatric Physical Therapy in Pediatrics, 26(3), 182-189.
SELECTED CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS
- Myers, C. T. (2007), September). Early childhood transitions: Research and the OT role. Presented at the Kentucky Occupational Therapy Association Annual Conference, Somerset, KY.
- Myers, C. T. (2006, April). The role of occupational therapists in early childhood transitions. Poeter session presented at the American Occupational Therapy Association Annual Conference, Charlotte, NC.
- Myers, C. T. & Rous, B. (2005, May). Perspectives on early childhood transition practices: Implications for occupational therapy. Poster session presented at the American Occupational Therapy Association Annual Conference, Long Beach, CA.
Endowed Chair Fellowship, Eastern Kentucky University, Department of Occupational Therapy (Awarded October, 2006, $1,793.02)
Research Team Member
Christine Myers, EKU
Christine Myers, PhD, OTR/L
2007 - EKU-Occupational Therapy Research Center