MS in Occupational Therapy Program

Occupational therapy is the art and science of facilitating participation in occupations.  The core concepts and knowledge base of occupational therapy come from the study of human occupation.  Occupational therapists use purposeful and meaningful occupations to evaluate and address the needs of individuals who have a disorder, impairment, or activity limitation that interferes with their ability to participate in daily life.  Occupational therapists promote health, well-being and life satisfaction.  Persons wishing to to licensed and practive as an occupational therapist must have at least a Master's degree in occupational therapy.

The Occupational Therapy Program is a 2-year graduate program, following completion of an undergraduate degree.  Students who complete the Occupational Therapy Program are eligible to take the national certification examination given by the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy and apply for licensure in those states requiring it.

There are two routes of entry to the Occupational Therapy Program

  1. MS Transition Program (BS/BA degree in another field) (deadline to apply May 1st)
  2. A BS in Occupational Science degree (BSOS seniors and current MS Transition students) (deadline to apply Feb. 1st)


Once in the MS in Occupational Therapy Program (see below):

MS Degree in OT Requirements/Information & Curriculum Plan


MS Catalog Descriptions & Student Learning Outcomes
OT Graduate Student Handbook Fall 2016
Textbook List for Spring 2016


Post-Professional Program (Curriculum)
is for persons with an undergradute degree or a post-baccalaureate certificate from an accredited Occupational Therapy Program.
Graduate Coordinator and Professor
for information about the Master of Science Program and MS Transition Program. 


***Professional level graduates must apply for licensure and/or certification prior to practiving in any state. A criminal record (excluding minor traffic violations) may make a person ineligible for national certification examination and/or licensure or state certification for practice. Students with such a history should contact NBCOT and relevant licensing or certifying bodies prior to enrollment to determine their situation.