BS in Occupational Science Program
Occupational science is the study of human occupation — how we occupy our time through activity, organize ourselves by activity patterns and habits, and create meaning through occupation. Occupation is essential to a healthy and satisfying life. Occupational science is an evolving social science that studies occupation, how and why people engage in occupations, the context in which occupations occur, and the occupational performance that results.
The Occupational Science Program is an undergraduate program. Students who complete the Occupational Science Program may choose to apply to the graduate program in occupational therapy, apply to other graduate programs, or seek employment in non-credentialed health care, education or community positions.
Admission and Progression Requirements:
All students who are accepted by EKU’s Admission office and declare their major as Occupational Science are admitted to the University as pre-Occupational Science majors; however, admission to the University does not guarantee admission to the Occupational Science program. Admission is competitive and based on a review of the applicants’ academic history by the Department’s Admission, Progression and Retention Committee. Students seeking consideration for admission to the Occupational Science program must meet the following requirements by May in the semester preceding the Fall semester start of the junior year:
- Completion of 60 hours of coursework, including prerequisite courses
- Overall GPA of 3.0 or above
- A minimum of 4 “B”s and 1 “C” in the following prerequisite courses or their equivalents (BIO171, BIO301, STA215 or STA 270, PSY200, HSA 200)
- No more than 1 repeat per course in the following prerequisites or their equivalents (BIO171, BIO301, STA215 or STA 270, PSY 200, HSA 200)
- Health Science Reasoning Test (HSRT) will be in effect for the Fall 2018 applicants.
Application to the Occupational Science Program does not guarantee acceptance in to the Occupational Science program. Students seeking admission to the Occupational Science program and progression to the Junior year must follow this process:
- By March 15th prior to progressing to the Junior year of the Occupational Science program, all students must submit an Application for Admission to the Department Chair.
- Transfer students must be fully admitted to the University by March 15thto be considered for admission to the Occupational Science Program. Students are responsible for submitting their official transcripts to the Office of the Registrar.
- Based on a competitive admissions review, students will be informed of admission to the Occupational Science program after Spring semester grades are posted. This is typically around the end of May.
- Students admitted to the Occupational Science program will be then be allowed to register for the Junior year classes.
- Application for Admission to the Undergraduate
Deadline to Apply: March 15th of each year (Due to the deadline being during spring break this year the deadline to apply is MARCH 22nd @ 4:00 PM)
Please contact Donna.McDaniel2@eku.edu for more information.
For BS in Occupational Science students once accepted into program
- Occupational Science Student Handbook 2017-2018
- Occupational Science Student Learning Portfolio Manual
- BS Catalog Descriptions & Student Learning Outcomes
- Textbook List for Fall 2017
Amy Marshall, BSOS Program Coordinator & Associate Professor, Bachelor of Science in Occupational Science Program.